1 Red onion, thinly sliced
½ Cup apple cider vinegar
⅛ Cup caster sugar
½ Cup water
1 Teaspoon fennel seeds
300g Mixed heirloom tomatoes, sliced into assorted shapes and sizes
1 Zucchini, sliced into thin ribbons using a peeler
1 Bunch basil, leaves picked
1 Tablespoon capers
1 Tablespoon olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon extra
2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 Small garlic clove, grated
250g Haloumi cheese, sliced thickly
- Place onion in a medium bowl. Combine apple cider vinegar, sugar, water, fennel seeds and peppercorns in a small saucepan and heat until sugar dissolves. Pour pickling liquid over onion and set aside to cool.
- Combine tomatoes, zucchini, basil, capers and pickled red onion in a large bowl.
- Combine one tablespoon oil, red wine vinegar and garlic in a small bowl. Pour over salad and toss to coat.
- Heat remaining one tablespoon oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook haloumi for 2-3 minutes each side or until golden brown.
- Divide salad between serving plates and top with haloumi.